Thursday, October 13, 2005

Post-Its. I’m pretty sure that I got married because of a well-placed stack of post-it notes.

A little background:

My childhood was many things. Stable was not one of those things. I always longed for a normal life, whatever that may be. I think all I really wanted was to be able to come home and know what to expect.

Fast-forward a few years:

I’d been seeing Nick for a while. And we’d been friends for a while before that. I had to call him one day to tell him something. What I actually told him isn’t important. The important part is that he had to write down some of the details.

Even from 170 miles away while sitting in my dorm room, I knew exactly what Nick was doing. I could see it in my mind. The post-its and notepads stacked directly under the phone, the cup of pens sitting close by. He was standing there and picking up a well-placed post-it, and then picking up one of the conveniently placed pens, and writing down the info. Then he would carefully fold the note exactly in half and place it securely in his pocket, right next to the ever-present pack of Marlboro Lights (in a box, never in a soft pack), where it would stay until the information was needed.

And it just hit me. Here was the stability and normality that I had wanted my whole life. No need to look further. I had found it. And that was the moment that I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.

Post-its. Who knew?

Happy fourth anniversary, Nick! I love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home